Sunday, December 19, 2004

Bad JuJu Box Full of Bad JuJu - Part 2

Sorry, more bleating about broken computer. Take my advice and skip this one too..

Forget what I said about NERO last time, I don't think it was the culprit. I know this because the morning after I wrote it, the machine died again. No, it seems what the problem is is that the system hive (a part of the registry) is getting too large for it to be loaded into the memory available during boot. So the thing is only half loaded or something and appears corrupt. Doing a repair on the registry (or a reinstall of everything) would allowme to boot, but was not preventing the problem from recurring.

The number one suspect for causing this is the Silicon Image serial ATA drivers. I managed to track down a newer version than the one I had, but it's still in beta so all bets are off with regard to stability. Never mind, still worth a try. I also flashed in a new motherboard BIOS, also a *choke* beta version but it specifically mentioned that an updata SATA controller BIOS was included.

Now it's just a matter of waiting and watching the size of that system hive as I reinstall all the software...

Ergh. Enough already.

1 Comments:

At 6:18 am, Blogger syn said...

Bear, what is the point of apologising about your writing, telling people not to read it, then leaving it up anyway? Is it so if someone complains how tedious it all is you can say "well, i told you not to read it"? And so isn't it just a coveryourarse exercise and not wholly honest?

But you're not like that. So i can only assume u're just being self-deprecating. Stop it! its really annoying!

And come to bed. its late. :P

*kiss*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home